Alcohol Poisoning

Text us

According to the Center for Disease Control, CDC, roughly 2,200 people die each year from alcohol poisoning in the United States. Alcohol poisoning is an extremely dangerous disorder that has many negative effects on the body. In some extreme cases, alcohol poisoning can be life-threatening.

Poisoning occurs when an individual consumes excessive amounts of alcohol in a short amount of time. The overabundant amount of alcohol in a person’s body causes a high increase in heart rate and body temperature, while decreasing lung respiration. These effects are very dangerous and require medical attention. 

Common Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

Poisoning from alcohol is an extremely dangerous illness. If you or anyone you know have any of these symptoms, call for help immediately. Below are the following common signs of alcohol poisoning:

  • Nausea and vomiting, sometimes unstoppable
  • Mental haze and extreme confusion 
  • Slow breathing
  • Seizure
  • Decrease in oxygen, causing skin to have a blue or pale tint 
  • Unconscious
  • Freezing

As stated above, you can die from alcohol poisoning from medical complications. For example, if an individual suffers from a seizure and does not seek medical help, they may lose all of their oxygen flow. 

How Does Alcohol Poisoning Occur?

Legal consumption of alcohol in The United States is available for those 21 and above. The frightening reality of alcohol poisoning is that it can happen to anyone. It can occur to an individual the first time they have a drink, or to someone who has been drinking alcohol for years. 

It is common to relate poisoning from alcohol with the term “ethyl.” The substance ethanol is commonly found in different alcoholic drinks, being the main reason for alcohol poisoning. However, there are other substances that lead to alcohol poisoning, ethanol just happens to be the most common.

Another main factor that leads to alcohol overdose is consuming too much alcohol in a short time period. This is typically referred to as binge drinking. Binge drinking is so dangerous and harmful to the body, and unfortunately has the ability to cause severe overdoses and death. 

As we all know, your liver is the norgan that heavily deals with alcohol consumption. Your liver has to metabolize any alcohol that comes into your body. A healthy person’s liver has the ability to metabolize 8 grams of pure alcohol per hour. When an individual binge drinks, their liver is not able to produce the alcohol at this fast of a rate. Typically resulting in malfunctions of the central nervous system. 

The following are common symptoms of alcohol according to a person’s BAC levels:

  • BAC 0.001 to 0.029: individuals will have slight effects but relatively seem fine.  
  • BAC 0.030 to 0.059: Here you may see an individual seem overjoyed and happy. People will tend to be more sociable and talkative. However, some may seem very relaxed and quiet. 
  • BAC 0.600 to 0.099: People will have a higher pain tolerance, flushed red face, and glossy eyes. People should NOT drive, and are at high risk to behave dangerously. 
  •  BAC of 0.100 to 0.199: Here, a person will experience the feelings of spins. They are likely to vomit, not able to speak well, and other impairments of the body will occur. 
  • BAC of 0.200 to 0.299: During this stage a person will have heightened feelings of emotions. They tend to be very sad or angry, resulting in mood swings. Here, a person may black out and not remember what happened to them.
  • BAC of 0.300 to 0.399: Here, a person’s central nervous system is in panic mode. This results in unconsciousness, loss of speech and other motor skills. If a person’s BAC levels are at this, they are at a good risk for death. 
  • BAC of 0.400 to 0.500: At this point, a person is most likely unconscious, and in a coma. Due to the fact his or her central nervous system has completely suppressed, this individual is at a high risk for death. Seek immediate medical help now.

The length of duration a person’s alcohol poisoning will last depends on:

  • Gender
  • Size
  • Type of alcohol consumed
  • Tolerance level

Treatment for Alcohol Poisoning

Do not attempt to cure this kind of poisoning at home. Alcohol poisoning and alcohol abuse require medical detox and treatment. The more amount of time alcohol toxins live in your body, the more dangerous effects may occur. The heart, brain, and liver are common organs that are negatively affected by alcohol poisoning. 

If you see someone experiencing poisoning, call 911 immediately. As we know, the faster these toxins are able to leave the body, the lower the risk of death. Each minute counts, call 911 if you see someone suffering from this. 

Will Poisoning Cause Permanent Damage?

Poisoning has the ability to cause long-term health effects like the following:

  • Brain damage from repeated seizures 
  • Heart damage or cardiac arrest from hypothermia
  • Untreatable brain damage

Death Caused by Poisoning

Death by poisoning happens. When a person consumes excessive amounts of alcohol into their bloodstream in short amounts of time, poisoning can occur. Poisoning from alcohol damages the brain’s ability to properly function, causing the heart to stop working. Cardiac arrest can occur here. Call 911 immediately if you suspect anyone suffering from alcohol poisoning.

Get The Help You Deserve 

Those with a chemical dependence to alcohol should get help today. The Recovery Team helps those recover from drugs and alcohol each day, you can do it.